Monday, February 1, 2010

Sorry for the day late entry. I got carried away with my favorite awards show last night (the Grammy's) and trying to juggle cleaning and paperwork while giving my attention to the TV, I missed sitting down and writing. As I type this evening I'm enjoying the smell of cinnamon and the sounds of water boiling. I'm making my first attempt at soup. Thanks to Lauren I have an easy butternut squash soup recipe that I hope I like. Not much of a vegetable fan but I figure worst case scenario I can douse it will as much cinnamon as I want to make it taste good.
And while I'm on the subject of food, I should mention that Joe and I finally got to indulge in true Pacific Northwest seafood on Friday night. We went to this place called the "Crab Pot" right down on the pier by the Sound. It has been featured on the Food Network (although we didn't know that until after the fact). After walking in and being seated at our table we knew that it would be an interesting dining experience. After placing our order we were given "hammers," small forks, and bibs. Not long after our food arrived in a big metal bowl. The contents were dumped out in front of us ( a combination of shrimp, crab legs, mussels, clams, salmon, and halibut- a true seafood delight!) It takes a certain amount of skill to smash the crab legs to gain access to the largest pieces of meet. And when you're done with the shell, you toss it back into the bowl. I had some feelings of guilt as I looked at the shrimp before me- their little beady eyes looking so grim. And did I mention I also had to de-leg them in order to eat them? With each bite I mentioned to Joe how guilty I felt about eating them. After all, I was just watching them swim in the aquarium back in June. I really should be a vegetarian except that there are very few vegetables that I will eat. And with the word "few" I'm being generous to myself. I still have flashbacks of Mom putting 5 of any vegetable (lima beans were the worst!) on my plate and telling me that I had to eat them before leaving the table. This was occurring well into my teenage years.
I still can't think about the green globs without having my stomach turn.
And as update, just finished the butternut squash soup and sadly I am not a fan. There is not enough cinnamon (or sugar for that matter- yes I added that too!) to make this soup taste good to me. (Sorry Laur). Attempting to eat the soup was the least of my worries. I had a little mishap with my food processor and ended up with squash mush on the wall, the refrigerator, and myself. I think I'm going to be finding orange for days. Needless to say my attempts at making soup have failed and the end result- a smoothie for dinner. Maybe I should just stick to chicken noodle.....from the can.

1 comment:

The Gillefonds said...

i'll have to give you our butternut squash soup recipe- its amazing! it will change your mind :-)