Sunday, February 21, 2010

Spring time in February

It feels like Spring! Oh wait. It's only February. It can't be Spring-yet. Maybe someone should tell all the Cherry Blossom trees that have bloomed this week. Walking down the street and inhaling their smell reminds me of....well.....Spring. It's a wonderful time to be in Seattle and the sunshine has been a great mood booster for an otherwise dreary month. I was very much looking forward to a low-key weekend and I was provided just that. Yesterday morning I woke up early to blue skies. I met Sydney for a 6 mile walk around Lake Union. The trail is very "urban" but the views of the water and mountains are amazing! I kept saying that the Olympic mountains look like a fake back drop on a very clear day. On foot we walked across bridges, along the water, through the parks, and into boathouse neighborhoods, all the while chatting and taking in the sunshine. Completing the loop was a nice accomplishment before noon. By this time we had really worked up an appetite and decided to explore something off of our "food bucket list." Our list usually consists of places we've read about in magazines, seen or heard mentioned on the Food Network, or in my case just walk by and like the way it looks. (This drives Joe nuts.) Our destination on Saturday was a sandwich place once mentioned on the Food Network. It wasn't just any sandwich place but one with a Caribbean theme. As we drove by, there was no sign indicating it was the right place but the line of people curving down the sidewalk was a good give a way. This place is pretty much the size of a large shed. There are 4 small tables, one menu hanging above the counter, and many curious passerbys wondering what the long line is for. After getting our treats to go, we found a nearby bench and quickly dug into our sandwiches. They were of course delicious and drew the attention of a couple of people who stopped to ask us about them. I spent the rest of the day in rest and relaxation mode with a few hours of work thrown in. Joe came home from work later that night and we decided to visit one of the nearby bars for a drink. This bar in particular draws our patronage; not just for the cheap drinks but also for the ambiance. Sitting at the candlelit table by the window, I couldn't help but feel like I could have been in someones' basement. To the right of us were couches, in the corner there was a set of cozy chairs with someone strewn over the side playing Tetrus on Nintendo, and in the other corner a shelf with a stack of games. It was relatively quiet while we were there and we wondered why more college students weren't around as it's right near Seattle University's Campus. About an hour after we arrived we got our answer. The college students didnt' show up until well after ten. Obviously we were too early arriving at 9:15. As soon as the place filled up I looked at Joe as if we got our cue to leave. Sitting there amongst the students with their backpacks and student ID's around their necks, I suddenly felt very old. The party was just getting started for them and I was ready for my pj's and a good book. How did this happen?????
We woke up to sunshine again this morning and I was inspired after finishing the book Julie and Julia to have something for breakfast outside my norm of cereal. No I didn't find a recipe where I couldn't pronounce the title or had to use a pound of butter in something (the running theme of the book). My fear of butter will keep me far far away from "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." Instead I found a great recipe for french toast in Fitness magazine and to my delight it was easy and error free. After receiving compliments from my husband for my kitchen endeavors, we headed out to wander the streets and take in as much Vitamin D as could. We found ourselves at a park people watching and enjoying the fresh air. One thing that I love (and find very amusing) is that the first glimpse of nice weather brings out the shorts, T-shirts, and flip flops. I even saw a girl sunning herself in a bathing suit. Now it was nice but not THAT warm. Never a dull day with fashion in Seattle.

1 comment:

The Gillefonds said...

you have a FEAR of butter?? hahahaha!