Sunday, February 14, 2010

Rain rain go way....Seattle has had too much as it's been 4 days. We are in a wet spell out here. Normally it wouldn't bother me so much except that it's been a long weekend for me and Joe's parents are visiting. What to do when it's raining outside? -Head to the movies. I was excited to have some female companionship to indulge in my love of chick flicks. Colleen and I went to see "Valentine's Day" while Joe and his Dad watched John Travolta shoot at anything in sight. I LOVED Valentine's Day and think it will definitely have to find a place on my shelf of "girlie movies" when it comes out on DVD. On Saturday we headed east to Ellensburg. It's a small town about 2 hours east of Seattle. It's a little embarrassing to say that we went to Ellensburg because Joe heard about a cowboy festival and wanted to check it out. Ellensburg is also the home to Central University- one of Washington's state schools. Upon arriving we parked the car and walked around what was considered the "historic district." Let's just say that it didn't take long. We found lunch at a cute little cafe but I had soon decided that if I were a high school senior and my parents had brought me to look at the University I would have had them take me home pretty quickly. But that's just me. :-) We found the cowboy festival pretty easily and walked through in about 15 minutes. I could have walked away with pink and purple cowboy boots with Eor on the front and back. I wonder if the kids at school would think I was cool if I wore those? It was back in the car again with the destination of Charlie's cabin which sits in between Seattle and Ellensburg. This was the first time that Joe's Dad has seen the place. We had a nice dinner and passed the time playing Scrabble and watching episodes on HGTV. After we all went to the bed the rain started coming down in full force and could be heard hitting the roof. Between hearing that and also the rustling of a plastic bag that I swore was a mouse trying to get at my granola bar in my purse, I awoke feeling a little groggy. Did I mention that I made Joe go through my purse before I would touch it to make sure that a mouse didn't jump out?
We came back into the city and got ourselves ready to head down to the market. We had a little reprieve from the rain this afternoon and were able to enjoy the walk through the Market rain free. Anyone who has been to the Market knows that many of the vendors have beautiful fresh flower bouquets for pretty cheap. Today was the first day that they were selling beautiful bouquets of dried flowers. We have to be careful with flowers because Nala sees them as instant toys and wants to chew them as soon as we walk in the door. I decided to take the chance with the dried flowers since they have a longer shelf life and put them on the tallest shelf we have. She took an interest when I was trying to get them into a vase but has ignored them since. I however am admiring them in all their blue and purple glory. We did get stuck in a downpour while visiting the local chocolate store-gotta have the candy on Valentine's Day but made it back to our parked car with getting just a little damp. We capped off the day with dinner in the International District- nothing says "I love you" like Chinese food and came back to watch some of the Olympics. How do the knees on the skiers survive with all of those moguls? Pretty cool to watch though. Tomorrow is my last day off....not sure what the plans for the day are but we are going to Alki Beach for dinner and to maybe watch the sunset if the rain stays away....with the weather forecast I'm not counting on that last part.

No comments: