Monday, September 1, 2008

Cute Shoes

We've been trying to take advantage of the nice weather while it's still here and took the long weekend as an opportunity to go to Snoqualmie Pass about 50 miles outside of Seattle where Joe's Uncle has a cabin. We did a little hiking on Saturday up the mountain with some beautiful views of the land below. We didn't quite anticipate such a cool climate (there was snow at 4,000 ft; we were at 3200 ft) and our hike was cut short as my hands and feet were quite cold! Later in the day we ventured downtown to REI-this is an outdoors store that is Joe's idea of heaven!:-) I'm looking around at the hiking shoes since the past two weekends my feet could really have benefited from more traction on the bottom. I tried to show Joe what my "compromise" shoe would be as he keeps insisting that I need a pair of hiking boots. My defense was that the boots just aren't as cute as "light hiking shoes" as they call them and I would not wear them. Joe continued his "outdoor lecture 101" adding that the boots would give my ankles more support if I was ever to trip and they were the better of the two. Insert here my stubborness and love of shoes for looks and not comfort (or practicality as the case may be) and Joe's declaration that if I did trip in the woods and twisted my ankle that he would leave me and my "cute shoes" and continue on. Now I see my willingness to even consider wearing something from an outdoors store a compromise but Joe just can't seem to see that. I keep insisting that I am an outdoorsy kind of girl but I don't think anyone could argue my desire for something that looks good on my feet (except maybe my husband! :-)

2 comments:

cheiman said...

Nicole-

Stick with the cute shoes!

Joe's Mom

Janice Lois said...

I too have got new hiking shoes through my favorite….. Eastbay.