Sunday, August 24, 2008

Traffic, public transportation, and the beautiful scenery

Another full week gone by, and with it came more orientation to my new job than I can wrap my head around, experience in the unpredictable traffic that is my commute home (it can range anywhere from 35 minutes to 2 hours when accidents happen), and more introduction to the beautiful outdoors. After a long week, Joe and I decided to do something outdoors on Saturday. We drove about 30 miles east to Snoqualmie Falls which is a beautiful natural waterfall that sits at the bottom of a gourge. We hiked about a half mile down, climbed a fence and a few rocks and got to take in a breathtaking view of the falls. Unfortunately we then had to hike back up the hill which really kicked our cadiovascular systems into high gear but the trek was enjoyable none the less (of course Joe may argue that last part:-) Later we explored the downtown surrounding the University of Washington. It definitely has the college feel with students milling about and eateries for any ethnic palate. Not quite as inviting as State College but then again I could just be a little biased!
Today I woke up to sunshine and thought it would be a great day to explore the shopping mecca of downtown. Only in true Seattle fashion, the sun disappeared and rain accompanied me on my walk downtown. I could not be discouraged by the rain and wind and found my way to Nordstram's a little wet but content none the less. How could I not feel any different when so many wonderful stores are within walking distance from my front steps? The rain continued for the rest of the day leaving me no choice but to take the bus once I hit retail overload. I am familiar with 3 different buses that are choices to drop me within 2-3 blocks of where we live. I've had little experience on public transportation since my days at Pitt but somehow I don't quite remember the strange smell of bodies mixed with rain or the unkept looking man yelling "watch out for the truck" as we treked along. I could feel myself shifting to take up as small of a space as possible with every lurch and stop the bus made. The very nice driver whose breathing could be heard in the microphone before announcing each stop managed to get me where I needed to be. As I walked the rest of the way home I decided to remember what that ride felt like on a Sunday afternoon and to weigh my transportation options the next time I ventured downtown; if only to save my sense of smell if nothing else!

No comments: