Sunday, September 7, 2008

Getting A Handle On My Job

I spent so much of last week observing kids, making a schedule, and getting a handle (still) on all that I need to do that I was so happy for Friday to come. And now sitting here Sunday night I have to get ready to do it all over again. Spending this past week in and out of classrooms from kindergarten thru six grade, I came to one conclusion (well actually make that 2) a typical school day is NOTHING how I remember it being and to take that observation further, I just feel plain right OLD. Now I know, I know, for all those reading this and rolling their eyes at me that I'm really not that old but coming from preschoolers who love to be around you and give you hugs, to seeing the eyes of the 6th graders like I'm walking into their secret world without an invitation has led me to this feeling. I think my first project is to find out what 6th graders really like and then to find out how to "speak their language." Thinking back to when I was in 6th (and yes I cringe at some of those memories) this could be a year long assignment. Along with my observations came some great "kid quotes" from a first grader arguing with me about whether the picture scene he was working on was a playground or a beach based solely on the lack of sunshine in the sky to a 6th grader responding to his teacher when she told him that "There are times when I'm going to have to tell you "no;" it's a simple one syllable answer." The 6th grader proceeded to first raise his hand and ask "if that syllable was the "n" or the "o." Did I mention that I was also offered lessons in chess by a first grader who was proud to tell me that he would be leaving early on Wednesdays to go play "strategy games" at another school. He is going to be (if he's not already) too smart for his own good. If anything this past week just gave me a quick glimpse into my challenges and opportunities to become a better therapist. Oh how I have a lot to learn! "I'll definitely be earning each paycheck!

1 comment:

Sue said...

Nicole I understand the in and out...the schedules...just waiting for the year to begin. Good luck this week!