Sunday, April 25, 2010

As I sit here and type tonight I can barely breathe through my nose and haven't tasted anything in 48 hours. Maybe I have my kiddos to thank or maybe it was just my time to get a spring time cold. Needless to say, much of my weekend was spent on the couch watching reruns of bad reality television. The sun did make an appearance and stuffed nose or not, I still had a training schedule to stick to. Yesterday I went for a walk and ended up wandering the downtown stores. How nice to combine exercise with one of my favorite past times. En route to downtown I stopped at the bank. I had to catch myself from staring at the customer in front of me. He (or she depending on how you look at it) was dressed in a short trench coat, a really bad wig, and knee high patent leather boots. He/She whipped out a large stack of bills and asked in a very feminine voice how to make the bills smaller. At this point I'm wondering if I'm in the presence of a transvestite hooker and it only got worse as I waited behind her(him?) and noticed that she(he?) was in a desperate need of a good leg shaving. Gross! The rest of my afternoon allowed me to bear witness to protests, a group of teenagers wearing Elmo birthday hats on the corner by Macy's and the filming of a movie. I don't think this movie is something that will hit theaters but there was a small crew and video cameras. For a moment I thought maybe I was bearing witness to the Japanese film that is being shot here which follows the story of the rise of Japanese immigrants and their subsequent fall out of Seattle. I then realized that my where abouts didn't really provide any good backdrop to history with the Lesbian bar on the corner and the homeless guy selling newspapers across the street. Instead I probably just saw students filming something for class. Again the thoughts in my head were creating much more entertaining stories than the reality of what I was seeing.
Despite my stuffiness I got my 3 mile run in today followed by more bad television. It seemed for every hour that I was up and functioning, I needed another hour on the couch. Thank goodness I wasn't scheduled for a long run this weekend as I probably would have keeled over somewhere. Hoping this cold leaves me quickly..............

No comments: