Sunday, April 18, 2010

Well the good news is that I'm able to sit here and type so I must have survived my 8 mile run today :-) It was a beautiful day here and I was in good company with many bikers and joggers this morning as I began my run. I chose a portion of a trail and I've seen signs for time and again but never really knew what it was. The beautiful thing about trails is that are mostly flat and something that I can handle. I started out along the water at Lake Union and wove around the outskirts of the University of Washington and then back behind a neighborhood I never knew existed but was quite pretty. With the sunshine and fresh air as my motivators (that and the little voice in my head that would not allow me to stop) I finished 8 miles in just under an hour and a half. I felt great afterwards and might just have learned what it means to get a "running high." Of course my toes hurt, I gained a blister, and there was some pain in one leg but other than that it was a triumphant experience! I must admit that this part of my weekly schedule came after my "easy walk" on Fridays as my trainer (Lauren) calls. Just to be funny I sometimes will send her "Dear Trainer" e-mails about something I did or failed to do. My e-mail to her on Friday went something like this...."Dear Trainer- Does it count as an easy walk if I'm wandering around Capitol Hill trying to find a bar with an open seat to enjoy a glass of wine and a few bites of dessert? Her response included the words "drop and give me twenty for the dessert." She's a tough one but keeps me on track!
We continued the nice weather day with brunch at a cafe that sits back in one of the neighborhoods. It's ranked as one of the top 10 brunch places and is known for its scones and cinnamon buns as well as its ambiance. It is a converted old Victorian home complete with the old fashion claw foot tub in the bathroom. We've found that with the good places you always have to wait; filling your mind (and stomachs) of the anticipation of what's to come. This place did not disappoint! I had probably the best raspberry scone I've ever tasted. A nice reward after my run. Our day continued with a walk through the Fremont market and sitting on the bank of the canal watching the boats go by.
I've been doing pretty good with trying new recipes throughout the week but I was defeated by a mango this past Thursday which left me a bit derailed off course. I was trying a recipe for Mango salsa and bought the mango on Sunday thinking that 4 days would be plenty of time to ripen. As I went to cut into the mango I wondered if there was a pit, or seeds, or something else hard that kept my knife from cutting through. The middle still remains a mystery to me as I never did get to the inside. The outside was soft enough to cut (and I use this term loosely as it was more like rip apart) the exterior. The recipe called for me to "dice" the mango. What does dice really mean? Dice or chop, to me they mean to cut without taking off your finger. I'm sure chefs everywhere would be insulted by my statement but at the end of the day there is the trusty food processor to refer to in your time of need.

No comments: