Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Hard Goodbye...

Most (if not all) of you know by now that this was a tough week for the Tingley family as we had to say goodbye to Grandma. I've spent this past week both emotionally and physically exhausted as I am filled with memories of Grandma. It was Grandma who first got me interested in drawing as we used to sit at the living room table with a huge Holly Hobby book in front of us. After we colored in the picture we used to fill in the empty space around it with our own drawings of suns and flowers, and houses with chimneys and smoke coming out of them. In the summer Grandma played baseball with us in her backyard using this red fat plastic bat that would send the ball flying. In the winter Grandma helped us to make igloos and dig out and opening so that we could crawl inside. I have a picture in my mind of Grandma killing a snake with a hoe as Lauren stood by and watched while Regan and I raced inside the house. I remember walking downtown and going to the drug store and buying candy for a nickel and sleepovers on Saturday nights watching the Golden Girls and Carol Burnett- the 3 of us crammed into Grandma's bed. There were countless times as I got older sitting at Grandma's kitchen table drinking coffee or hot chocolate and just talking. I do believe there was even a time when I was younger that I told Grandma that I wanted to drink coffee just like her so that I wouldn't get too tall. And of course there were the family gatherings at Thanksgiving; all of us sitting down along the long table with Grandma's jello and whip cream right in front of the grandkids. Each night when I close my eyes, these thoughts are what fill my head before I can finally find sleep. I'm grateful for the almost 29 years I had with Grandma and I will forever remember the love she had for all of us.

No comments: