Sunday, October 11, 2009

Another beautiful fall week gone by. Mt. Rainier is now showing snow on its' peak. A sure sign that colder weather and winter are on the horizon somewhere. Hope it stays at bay for a while longer. This week seemed to fly by (as did the weekend!). With both Joe and I arriving home around the same time at night we are constantly struggling with the question of "What's for dinner?" The nuisance of this is one that I can't shake. I am not creative (nor do I care to be) and hate to have to find an answer to this question. One day this past week Joe decided to take it upon himself to answer this question early in the day. He was eager to show me his find at the store- a $4 frozen lasagna and cream of broccoli soup. My first thought is that these two things do NOT go together. My second thought is that I can't stomach the ricotta cheese/meat/noodle/sauce combo when it is homemade. How am I supposed to even attempt a bite into something that was once frozen. I didn't even try to pretend that I could. I praised Joe for taking the initiative and then stated my case for my aversion to all things containing ricotta cheese (apologies to my Italian heritage). Needless to say that Joe quickly realized that error in his food combination as I feasted on my meatless chicken patty. A new week is starting with the "What's for dinner" conversation to start once again.
By Friday I was ready for some rest and miraculously Joe had a Friday night off. This is a very big rarity for us. We got together with another couple for Thai food. Three and a half hours later we left enjoying good company, good food, and an incredibly high bar bill....ooops!
On Saturday I decided to venture down to Pike Place Market. One of my favorite things of the fall season are Honeycrisp apples so I decided to support the local produce by splurging on them as they are quite expensive. I kept with my "fall" theme indulging in homemade Autumn Harvest Orzo pasta and pumpkin pie tea. Since the summer has now become a distant memory it is so much easier navigating through the market and I left happy with my purchases. En route home I came across the "Jesus Saves" protesters (a common sore sight in the shopping area). As I waited for the light to change I couldn't help but notice a pamphlet in the hands of the girl wearing her Christ is Risen sweatshirt. It read "What to Do to go to ____" with flames all around it.) I'm pretty sure I could fill in the last word. Way to kill my "fall high." Continuing on my walk home I found a new crepe place (that now I can't wait to try) housed right next to a gay bar. Now normally I don't take a second look at places like this but the sign hanging above the door caught my eye. It read "This is a gay bar." "We welcome you if you are not a homophobe, bigot, and the list went on. I really wanted to take a picture of this but decided that it would be inappropriate. After all I have to play the "local" card and look unfazed by such a posting. This is the only place in the entire city I have come across with a sign such as this. Usually we just guess that every other bar in the Capital Hill area is a gay bar.
Today I further indulged my interest in old movies by watching "Singing In the Rain" with Charlie. How have I gone 28 years and never seen this movie???? Mom and Dad- how could you let this happen???? Besides forming a crush on Gene Kelly within the first 30 minutes I was amazed at the quality of a film for that time period. And the tap dancing was amazing! Afterwards we googled Gene Kelly and found that he was born in Pittsburgh. Who knew? I will soon be further indulging my new found love with the viewing of "American in Paris." I feel like I'm learning so much and am gaining further appreciation for another era.
Our day ended with Joe and I sitting in a pub in Ballard while Joe indulged in his Octoberfest guilty pleasure-bratwurst. We discovered this place last October and Joe has not forgotten. After 3 bratwurst combined with German beer, Joe was in a happy food coma and is still talking about how good it was. I was playing the supportive wife/compromise card as my love of bratwurst is right up there with ricotta cheese. Could someone please pass the meatless/tasteless soy patty?

1 comment:

The Gillefonds said...

i cant believe you didnt know gene kelly was from the burgh! Come on! He is CLO's mascot, there are the Gene Kelly HS Musical awards, the Kelly theater in east liberty!!! Oh Nicole- come back and we'll re-indoctrinate you to your old city!
love you!!!