Sunday, August 16, 2009

My Aversion to Port-A-Potties Has Lessened

Within the past 4 days I have made some progress with my aversion to toilets that do not flush and how did I do this you may ask- it was either the Port A Potty or the woods.
Joe and I went to Mt. Rainier on Thursday for an overnight camping trip. We haven't had the clarity in the sky like we had in June but it was still worth it anyway. I had done some careful research into the camping facilities as I didn't want a repeat of Colorado 2007. The website boasted "flush" toilets and fire pits and there were high numbers given for each site so I was pretty sure that we weren't going to be alone. I have to thank Aunt JoAnn for passing along information she learned after their stop there in July and the area of Sunrise Peak (Elevation 6400) became our destination as it's supposed to be the "most beautiful view in North America." We got to the park around noon and chose our campsite. I was easily relieved when we arrived as I saw a number of people out and about-some with dogs. I couldn't help but think that if some wild animals came to visit in the middle of the night at least the dogs might warn us. Each site had its own picnic table and fire pit and after setting up the tent (I supervised Joe's efforts) we had a picnic lunch and then drove the 10 miles up the mountain to the Visitor's Center. It was apparent quite quickly how cloudy the day was turning into as well as how cold it was going to be. The high was 44 and the low was enough to allow us to see our breath in the middle of the night. Needless to say I was wearing 5 layers and wishing I had brought a winter jacket and gloves. There were lots of hiking trails to choose from and we chose one and walked as far as we good until my hands needed to get out of the cold (I'd say about 3 miles). The area was described as "meadowlike" with deep drop offs on one side and open on the other. We got some good pictures on our hike and just breathing in the crisp air was refreshing. Afterwards we toured the gift shop (every tourist attraction has to have one) and then settled into the warmth with coffee and a Barrel of Monkeys. Yes we passed some time while reverting back to childhood. An onlooker even commented about how she admired our youth. :-) Back to the campsite (and the nonflushing toilets) to start the fire. It's illegal to gather firewood there so conveniently starting at 5 o'clock a truck drives around the sites and sells firewood for $5. Some my argue that we weren't "roughing it enough" but may I remind you that there were no flushing toilets and I had to wash my face not with running water but with a face wipe. That to me is roughing it! Not long after we enjoyed our dinner did the rain start to fall-and then fall really hard. We were in our tent by 7:30 with no reprieve of rain until about 2 in the morning. So much downtime and I made several attempts to have a serious in-depth conversation about life with Joe but I was met with him playing with his head light and all attempts at a conversation were lost. I will say that sleeping was a bit easier this time around. Instead of gripping the car alarm for dear life, I slept with a small flashlight within reach and would just check to make sure it was there every now and again through the night. I think that's progress right? In the morning we made our way back up to the mountain in attempt to get some clearer shots of the mountain-which we did! It was a good experience together and Joe told me that I got "half" my camping card back after losing it back in Colorado. Again I guess that's progress. :-)
My second encounter with nonflushing toilets came yesterday as I attended an acoustic music festival at an outdoor park. 7 artists and 6 hours worth of music. It was so much fun and normally in these circumstances I would avoid the bathrooms at all costs but after 2 glasses of wine and a bottle of water I had to face my fear-again. If you hold your breath and squint your eyes you can trick yourself into thinking it's not that bad-which I did twice and I survived. I feel like I can walk with my head a little higher today after concurring and reconcurring my fear. The festival was wonderful with so many talented artists. One of the best parts of the night was hearing David Gray sing live "This Years Love" which was the last song we had played at our wedding and I must admit to tearing up just a bit. What can I say except that I'm a sucker for romance! :-)
One week to go of summer vacation.....may it go so ever slowly!

No comments: