Sunday, August 9, 2009

1 Year Anniversary

54 posts and 1 year later and here I sit ready to divulge my experiences of year number 2 of west coast living. In honor of the new year I chose a new lay out and since I've been reading lots of fashion magazines telling me that "green is the new black" I decided on this background. I've found myself asking the last few days "Where has the summer gone" and now as I type this entry I ask "Where has the last year gone?" Many new experiences, a new job, and wonderful new people (along with 2 address changes) have gotten us to this spot. Although it hasn't always been easy and at times I still wonder what the heck we're doing out here and if we're not here where are we supposed to be, I just have to walk down the street, look up at the mountains, or out onto the water and know that for right now this is home. This past year has taught me that anything goes in the wardrobe department (and I mean anything!), you may not cross the street if you cannot see the little white person on the walk sign (even though you may be the only person and/or vehicle in sight), Teriyaki joints are Seattle's answer to McDonald's, the stereotype about coffee out here is true, it does not rain out here as much as people think it does, this city does not believe in snow plows or air conditioners so in extreme weather conditions there is a chance that as an east coaster familiar with both may freak out (which I have-more than once!), pasta really does taste better when it is homemade, one can never tire of seeing Mt. Ranier or the mountain backdrops, there is such thing as traffic as bad or worse as traffic in NYC, Philadelphia or any other major east coast city, pedestrians always have the right of way here in a cross walk and therefore we can walk freely throughout the city but one must remember to look and then double look when traveling back on east coast territory, Thai food really does taste better on the west coast, it is possible to need a coat, an umbrella, and a tank top all in the same day and in rotation.....and the biggest thing I've learned in the past year is that a type A personality such as mine cannot just be "erased" by living on the west coast and my hopes of less list making and more spontaneity are still a work in progress. Stay tuned for year #2 of East Coast Girl Trying West Coast Living.

No comments: