Sunday, March 15, 2009

Bonding With Cousins.....

As all of you were enjoying some of the sunshine this weekend, Bryan and Alex were welcomed to Seattle by none other than rain and wind. The wind is actually some of the most intense I've felt since we've moved here. So the boys are here for the weekend before heading down to Portland. It's been nice to spend some time together-especially since the last time I can remember this much time together involved Mom and Aunt JoAnn with four kids camping somewhere in upper New York state. (very good memories I might add!) The rain yesterday didn't keep the boys from exploring the city on foot and then engaging in a game of soccer with a couple of the locals. Today we were all slow getting the day started but Joe and I wanted to show Bryan and Alex other areas outside of the city. We took them to the area around the University of Washington and walked some of the campus and the main street. I was actually expecting the campus to be bigger but did find myself impressed by some of the beautiful houses that are residence to the fraternity. How such beautiful houses are given up to smelly fraternity boys is beyond me......From there we headed to the neighborhood of Freemont where Joe and I love to wander the vintage junk shops. I think it is lucky that the boys are flying back as Alex was eyeing up a number of really gaudy things for his house at school. The house has been spared some interesting choices of decor due to the expensive rate of postage from one side of the country to the other. Joe introduced the boys to one of his favorite spots-a belgium brewery with an interesting feel between midevil times and as Bryan pointed out-a backdrop that could have been used in the movie Fight Club. We then drove over to Alki Beach and despite the wind and the sunshine playing hide and seek, we found a great Italian restaurant for pizza and a view of the Sound. Bryan has had some interesting observations of people in the area- from what they wear, to their mannerism, and how much jay-walking is frowned upon. I warned them that people take it seriously out here and they didn't believe me until a homeless man yelled at them for walking without the walk sign. It's been interesting to have another east coast perspective because for us it has just become the norm and I guess I've forgotten the "view from the other side." I guess I should be a little bit more specific in that some of Bryan's comparisons have been between here and Scranton which is a whole other entity in and of itself! As I sit and type this, Joe, Bryan, and Alex have gone out to explore some of the local bars. I haven't decided yet if I should be worried about this combination or not! :-)

No comments: