Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Adjustment Period

My first few days here on the west coast have been filled with unpacking boxes, settling in, and of course exploring (and getting lost!) in this new city. I've already learned that in the quaint little neighborhoods surrounding our temporary residence that stop signs don't always exist and instead you just slow down and yield at each intersection all the while having faith and crossing fingers that nothing is coming on either side. Seattle has been surprising us (and maybe welcoming us) with sunshine and enjoyable temperatures everyday. I figure it's just the honeymoon period before the clouds come in. Of course at this point I find that an even trade after sweltering in the humidity of the Pennsylvania summer. I've already drank more coffee in the past 4 days and have nearly doubled my daily comsumption. I'm not sure if it's just fatigue or the fact that coffee places stare you in the face (and intice you to come in) at every intersection or a combination of the two. Our neighborhood is teaching us about cultural diversity and my first experience in the neighboring Starbucks had me as the minority. Looking around I knew that I was no longer in my safe haven of Pennsylvania residence. And after I get used to the constant car alarms, and sirens at all hours of the night (and did I mention my constant paranoia that someone could be breaking in at any momeny?) I will add it all to the positives of this new experience and all that comes with it. But for now I'm still an east coast girl trying out west coast living.
XO
Nicole

3 comments:

topspot said...

Nicole,
This is a great way for us to hear about your experiences! I knew you were thinking of doing a blog, but am impressed at the speed that you set it up. I hope you find time to keep it updated.
Love,
Aunt Sandy
(I wanted to be the first comment!)

The Gillefonds said...

Hey Nicole! Smart move- and avoids the mass emails :) Good luck with your first week of work (next week, right?)- post some photos of the apt soon!
love amanda

Aunt JoAnn said...

Hey Nicole...You will be an old pro at it before too long...Marisa and I had a great day in NYC...you would be impressed at what a good bargainer she was on Canal Street! Can't wait to hear the details of your job! Love, Aunt JoAnn