Sunday, May 16, 2010

Gotta Keep Running

Oh my throbbing feet! I sit here this evening with my feet up trying to give some much needed air to a very ugly blister on the bottom of my foot. How did it get there you ask? It started last weekend with a 9.5 mile run. My running schedule continues to increase in mileage and I think I found my (and my feet) breaking point! I had my mapped out route along Lake Union and winding through the different neighborhoods an around mile 8 I started to feel pain in my feet and my toes. My poor toes have never felt this way and I really thought they were going to turn blue! I was very quick to remove my shoes after my run (I did make it through the whole thing!) and although there was no blue coloring I did have a nice blister under the arch of my foot. After a little TLC complete with ice cubes and cold water (thank you trainer Lauren!) my feet were back in working order for the week.
Another long run came yesterday- this one 11 miles. I never thought I'd be running in the double digits! Amazing what a little determination can do! The sunshine was out in full force and I chose a run along Lake Washington. My route took me by some VERY expensive houses with beautiful views, parks with BBQ's and picnic spots, and right along the water where I was so close I could touch the water with my fingers. I was in good company once again with other runners and cyclists. My route took me all the way down to the tip of land known as Seward Park. Joe and I had driven down once before and walked around the park so I knew what I was heading to. By the time I got there I was around mile 7. Sailboats were out, families were enjoying the sunshine and so I couldn't just bring myself to turn around continue back. Instead I spotted a little white ice cream truck advertising shaved ice. At this point I'm hot and thirsty and some sugar and ice certainly sounded good so I gave myself a "pass" for a little break. I enjoyed my shaved ice and took in the scenery before continuing home. Right around mile 8 or 9 again I started to get the pain at the bottom of my feet and in my toes. Maybe it's their way of telling me enough is enough but I still had a few miles to go. After almost 3 hours on foot (I had about a mile walk back to my car after the 11 mile run) I was glad to let me feet breathe. In place of my recovering blister was an even bigger and uglier one than before along with a blister on my heel and 2 on my toes. I have to think that people who run have ugly feet right up there with dancers. I am now on a mission to find a fix for my throbbing feet. First up- some specialty socks that soak up sweat and allow some breathing. We'll see how this goes.....
Along with my runs and enjoying the sunshine, I've also been able to experience two more music venues in the city and some very talented musicians. Besides the beautiful scenery and the eclectic style of Seattlites, the music scene has to be on my list of best things about this city. In a weeks time I've seen acoustic, southern rock, and a Napolean Dynamite look alike that could hit notes that most females can only try to reach. The creativity and talent out there is amazing!
Joe and I ended out weekend at the Japanese Gardens for a little stroll through the world of colorful flowers and Bonsai trees. There was a feeling of serenity in the garden with all of nature around. Wish I carry that feeling outside of the garden wall and into everyday life.

No comments: