Sunday, November 22, 2009

It's been a long rainy week here in Seattle. I'm starting to wonder if the "true" Seattle weather held off until our second year here so as to not deter us. Between that and the short daylight days, this time of year is already getting to me a little bit. I've spent much of this past week trying to complete progress updates for work. Take 45 kids x's 3 or 4 IEP goals to comment on and that is a lot of typing! I needed a break mid-week so I decided to take a fitness class at my gym. Normally I don't do this but I really needed a pick me up. I had quickly stuffed clothes in my gym bag that morning; not really paying attention to what I packed. Needless to say it wasn't the cutest or nicest gym outfit that I own. As I was approaching the door to go into the class, I noticed two familiar faces on the other side-parents of one of my students. I froze for a second and then quickly retreated to the stairwell and had a conversation with myself about whether or not I should go in. It's always awkward running into parents outside of school and what made this worse was that this set of parents were ones that always make me so frustrated during meetings. I decided not to let them stop me and went into the class-ugly gym clothes and all. Mom smiled at me and said hello and made small talk for a few minutes. Dad gave me a slight smile but looked almost as uncomfortable as I felt. Needless to say through the whole entire class I was very aware of their presence and couldn't leave fast enough when it was finally over (after politely saying goodbye to them). Not sure if I will be returning to that class although it was a very good midweek kick in the butt that I needed.
Saturday Joe and I headed to the neighborhood of Fremont. It has some really good vintage shops that we always enjoy browsing through and Joe had his eye out for a vintage belt buckle. After successfully finding what he was looking for (but unsuccessfully figuring out how to get it on his belt), we headed to "Roxy's Diner" for a late lunch. They advertise as "The Real East Coast on the West Coast." What makes it east coast? It serves sandwiches! And lots of them. Their specialty is pastrami but they have almost every combination you can think of. You're probably wondering why this is such a big deal right? Well the thing is that we have very few sandwich places out here. You can get any kind of ethnicity that your heart can desire but a true sandwich shop- you're going to have to do some digging. 15 months after moving here and I had my first really good bagel sandwich.
After returning from our vintage escapade I went out to get a haircut. Normally I am really good about keeping up with bimonthly trims but 2 unsatisfactory haircuts and hair that seems to never grow has kept me away from a hairstylist for longer than I'd like to admit. The last time I got my hair cut I was convinced it was uneven, but after several days of washing and blowing I began to wonder if it was all in my imagination. Apparently it wasn't as the nice hairstylist last night informed me that half of my head was almost an inch shorter than the other. An inch! How embarrassing. I've been walking around for too long of time with uneven hair! Guess that's what happen when your hand held mirror goes missing in the move and you can no longer see the back of your head. Look what I missed out on! Crisis averted as I left last night assured that I now had an even head of hair. I'm going to go buy a hand held mirror just to make sure.
We started our Sunday out to brunch with a couple that we've become very friendly with. As we were waiting for our table a group of tight dress wearing, high heeled clad "women" stumbled out after what looked like a late night/early morning party. After noticing the blond leg hair on one of the "blonds" we realized that we were looking at a group of men dressed as club going women. Not sure if that ever becomes common enough not to at least give them a double take . We weren't the only ones. Brunch turned into drinks while watching the Seahawks game and any other football game that we were privy enough to see. Within the course of an hour we saw two drunks fall off of their chairs and then not move. We weren't sure at first if they had a medical issue but when the staff came over to them and called them by name it was obvious that this wasn't the first time. The woman just looked at us with the most vacant eyes. Definitely a bit scary to watch (twice!). And to think that a Sunday could be dull and boring?

No comments: