Sunday, November 9, 2008

The "Real" Seattle weather has come upon on

Well it was too good to last-the sunshine that is. The changing of the clocks also brought the changing of the weather and here in Seattle that means rain. Our skies have been dark and our days have been shortened. I didn't realize that we are far enough north to have it start to get dark around 4 and completely dark by 5. It's hard when I leave for work and it's dark and then I'm coming home in the dark as well. I find I need to give myself little "pep talks" to not just come home and snuggle under the blanket by the fire but to actually be productive even when the sun has set.
We were given a small reprieve and had sunshine yesterday with very mild temps (around 60). Joe and I decided to check out an area north of Seattle called Fremont. It's described as "an eclectic, artsy neighborhood of Seattle located in the north-central section of Washington’s largest metropolis. Overlooking Salmon Bay, the small community of Freemont bills itself as “the center of the universe.” It's is such a cool little place filled with shops, cafes, interesting statues, and a picturesque landscape to make it an enjoyable place to wander on any given day. We found ourselves browsing through a number of the vintage shops. They had furniture, records, dishes, clothes, accessories, shoes-you name it and these stores had it. It was so much fun to look through the clothes-especially the women's clothes from the 20's and 30"s where everything is so girly and feminine. One shop even had an old pink hair dryer that women sat under to get that perfect "beehive" look. I told Joe I wanted that for Christmas:-) We stumbled upon a Belgium brewery and of course Joe's eyes lit up at the word beer. It turned out to be this cool place with a great ambiance and a leather bound book that looked like the "bible of beers." A little piece of heaven for Joe.
This week is a little out of the ordinary in that I have Tuesday off for Veteran's Day. I'm taking advantage of the extra day to sleep in and am spending Monday night at my first concert in one of the downtown venues. So much music to see and hear here that I'm excited to finally take advantage of it!

No comments: