Monday, November 17, 2008

Concerts, Protests, and 50 degree weather

Another interesting week here in Seattle. I started off the week attending a Jason Mraz concert on Monday night. For anyone who knows who he is, and knows his amazing ability to make girls swoon with the first strum of his guitar, will understand the major crush I developed after his show. (Joe's even okay with it) He was soooo good live and a great way to kick off the week. I should have been a groupie in my previous life:-) The week continued much the same and went by in a blur of therapy sessions, paperwork, and a neverending list of e-mails to respond to in my in box. Does anybody else ever find e-mail to be more stressful than helpful???? I've also added two identical twin girls who were adopted from China less than a year ago to my caseload and of course and wondering to myself "what am I going to do with them?" I really do learn on the job everyday.
This weekend Joe and I found ourselves witness to something very real to what has made so much of the headline news (at least on the west coast anyway). We were downtown doing a little Christmas shopping and one minute the streets are filled with shoppers and then the streets become filled with protesters against the passing of Proposition 8. It went on for miles with thousands of people walking in it-gay, straight, animals, children. Reading the signs was the best part-from "Jesus had 2 dads" to "Britney had 2 marriages why can't I have one"- it was an interesting thing to watch. I felt a little sad for the couples who were holding hands with signs with the date of their wedding and accompanying pictures. Love is love-nobody should be denied all that it encompasses. The most amazing thing was that it was a peaceful protest in the sense that cops were on the sidelines keeping an eye on things but no one got out of hand. Even the protesters who were speaking out on the other side of the issue remained respectful.
Saturday night I attended a showcase of singer/songer writers called The Hotel Cafe Tour. Almost a smaller and updated version of the Lilith Fair. It's always inspiring to hear the stories behind these amazing talents that my not be played on Top 40 radio but have so many good songs to listen to. The venue was small and the audience eclectic at most but I heard some amazing female voices accompanied by their guitars and piano. Gotta love the indie scene!

No comments: