Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cooking for Thanksgiving-Really?

Just a quick shout out to everyone on the east coast. We've had a pretty uneventful week out here and find ourselves getting ready for Thanksgiving. This is the first year that I've really had to contribute to dinner itself as I previously contributed to dinner by setting the table or pouring the water. Welcome to adulthood and greater participation on the day we give thanks. I found myself asking "What does someone who dislikes to cook, and isn't a big fan of casseroles, or potatoes, or stuffing bring to a Thanksgiving dinner ?" I turned to my good friends at the food network for some advice and after looking to see what category my cooking level fell at (less than 10 minutes and an easy level), I narrowed my choice down. Did I also mention that I have strict rules about never using a recipe with an ingredient I never heard of, never attempting anything with more than 6 ingredients, and if it involves cutting things with more than a simple cut in half then forget it! Believe it or not such recipes exist and I will attempting one to bring to Thanksgiving dinner. This year is not just about new traditions but also about stepping up to the plate and trying something a little scarey. For some that means jumping out of a plane or moving to another country. For me it's stepping outside my comfort zone of pouring more than water at dinner and actually having a contributed dish at the table. Of course I could just substitute the water for wine and consider it baby steps to really cooking...........
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and know that we're sending hugs from one coast to another!

No comments: