Sunday, October 19, 2008

In Search of the Laid Back Attitude

As the weeks progress and I find myself inundated with an overwhelming amount of work, I find myself asking "Where's the west coast laid back attitude that I've heard so much about?" It certainly doesn't exist in the education environment with everyone arriving early and staying late constantly in motion of trying to take care of everything. I found out early on that the majority of Speech Therapists all share the common trait of Type A personality to which I too join that group so there is no solace of laid back attitude at our monthly meetings. So where does this laid back attitude exist? Suprisingly enough I found it with a trip to the dentist. The dentist-I know! For those of you that are aware of my fear of sitting in the chair with the bright light shining at me and latex gloves checking out every crevix of my mouth only to hear that I again will be hearing the sound of a drill and another silver coloring will be added to my mouth should be just as surprised as I was. I found myself sitting in the leaned back chair Saturday morning with different people poking and prodding in my mouth, yelling out numbers to be recorded, and saying words that I know do not exist in Webster's Dictionary. The numbers; referring to the state of my gums around each tooth, were what I had heard in the past but the reaction to which was very different. A previous visit to the dentist had them upset with my "4" as a person my age should not be experiencing something that high, etc. Here the hygienist didn't even flinch when she said 4 outloud and instead said that it was not big deal and they only really get concerned with "5." Well I reached that magic number too and still-very mellow reaction and a mild scolding to floss more. When the dentist walked into the room I was waiting for my fate to be handed to me, already hearing the drilling of the needle, my arm hairs beginning to raise. But what she informed me of was something minor and I had a choice of how to proceed. A choice! Yes I was given a choice of how invasive the next procedure was going to be. Where was this all those times when I would work myself up and almost be in tears of what I was told was going to happen next? Not only did I have a choice but I could have it taken care of "whenever was convenient." What-you mean they work around my schedule? I walked out with my little plastic bag filled with floss and a new toothbrush and felt relaxed and laid back after a trip to the dentist-not tense and scared for the life of my teeth like previous experiences had given me. So although I continue to search for the prominient showing of the west coast attitude, I can sleep soundly knowing that my first encounter came in the least expected (and one of the most feared) places-the dentist office.

No comments: