Monday, July 26, 2010

Living Amongst Moving Clutter

Oh how I wish there was such a thing as a packing fairy! Maybe she could come and make sense of our "moving clutter" as we now begin our moving countdown- 6 days! We have packed boxes up to the ceiling, empty boxes ready to be filled, and packing tape, scissors, and markers have spread themselves across our small living space. It's always amazing to me when preparing for a move (something I've done on average every 2 years since 2003) how much stuff one (and two) people can accumulate! I have found that I have less sentimental value towards things that I may have to carry down stairs, into an elevator, and then arranging in a moving vehicle of choice. Don't get me wrong- I've still held on to those personal items that have been with me through the years but do I really need the 6 towel sets for the kitchen, the books I know I will never read again, or the pair of jeans that have been with me since college and I just can't seem to part with? The answer is No!
We've had to jump through hurdles to get a permit to park a POD on the street in front of our apartment. From applying for a permit, for waiting for permission, to paying a hefty fee (Yikes!), to renting No Parking signs, the amount of time and energy waiting for the city of Seattle to in a sense give us permission to move has been exhausting! I've been so frazzled with our long (and neverending) list of things to do that it is affecting my sleep. A few nights ago I was wide awake for a few hours pacing in our living room. I was treated to a beautiful view of Mt. Rainier at 4:30 in the morning.
Nala has been trying her best to cope with the chaos. And when I say "cope" I mean that she goes and sleeps in the bathroom sink or jumps in our suitcase or boxes as we're trying to pack them. As I watched her sleep so peacefully in the sink I couldn't help but wonder if the same technique could work for humans? Of course that would mean taking a nap in the bathtub but if that could give me a few moments of piece of mind I might be willing to give it a try!
In addition to packing, we also have Joe's sister Sara and her friend Rachel visiting us for the week. Luckily they can look past our chaos. Yesterday we visited the Farmer's Market in the neighborhood of Ballard. Right now it is ranked the 3rd largest Farmer's Market in the country and it certainly didn't disappoint! So many wonderful (and local) fruits and vegetables and flowers and jewelry. I felt a little wave of sadness as we got to the end- we've become so accustomed to farmer's markets all over the area. I also felt a little sad as we walked around Capital Hill and took in the view of the Space Needle from the "Black Hole Sun" in Volunteer Park. Sites and sounds and smells that have become so second nature that I don't even pay attention anymore. Well I am certainly paying attention this week! Trying to put into long term memory all that we love about Seattle.
Lots more packing to get done, goodbyes to be said, and our trip route to plan out. We are thinking of driving back on a different route than the one we did two years ago. This one would take us through Oregon, Nevade, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. We were joking about how many other people can say that their cat has been through 17 states? If only Nala knew!

No comments: