Sunday, January 3, 2010

Settled In For 2010

After 12 hours of flights and airports, Joe and I made it back to Seattle and into our apartment with 45 minutes to spare before the new year. Due to the lovely snow that fell Wednesday night our travels were slightly disrupted but still tolerable for the holiday season. We had lots of entertainment on our flight from DC as we were seated about 4 rows up from the bathroom. About 2 hours into the flight the lines started forming and it was a great way to people watch. There were about 4 infant/toddlers on the plane and we watched as their moms carried them to the bathroom to change their diapers (and one diaper that we could smell from our seats!) and listened to their acapella cries as one started and another followed suit. At one time Joe and I just looked at each other and I knew that I was going to continue to lose the baby battle without saying a word.
After picking up our luggage, we tried out the new Light Rail train that now runs from the airport to downtown. The ride itself is easy and efficient but getting to the station was quite a long walk when you're pulling a 50.5 lb suitcase (I was over the limit (again!) but they still let me slide without paying an extra fee). We had about 8 stops before we got off and got to witness the drunk guy stumble on and stink up my breathing space and the group of teenagers in their puffy coats and gloves all prepared to stand at the Space Needle for the fireworks. There was also the group of 20 something girls done up and obviously heading to the bars. And there Joe and I sat- our clothes wrinkled, my makeup smudged with hair in a pony tail, waiting to get home and greet our cat. We really enjoyed our time with family and friends. It was a great way to wrap up 2009 and give me a boost for 2010.
We didn't plan too well for our arrival home and had absolutely no food in the house but we did have a very vocal greeting from Nala. She's quite the talker after she has been left alone for a few days-this trip was no exception. After watching the ball drop we headed to bed hungry and exhausted.
The past few days I've been able to get back on west coast time but unfortunately Joe has not had the same luxary as he got right back into work Friday night and has been going since. I've been enjoying my last few days of "freedom" and crossing off those last few things on my "to do" list. For now I'm just going to take a deep breath and see what 2010 brings. Happy New Year!

No comments: