Sunday, April 26, 2009

Greetings all and happy sunshine! I hear the east coast got a glimpse into the summer time with sun and high temperatures. Perfect for Blue and White weekend at Penn State. After seeing some pics of PSU, a wave of nostalgia swept over me. Can't believe that it was six years ago that I graduated from there! With those thoughts and my impending birthday that will add another number to my resume of life I find myself looking back and wondering how I came to be at this very spot I am today. Well maybe not at this very spot. At the given moment that would be on my couch with my 2nd chick flick of the day trying to will myself to feel better. The nice weather couldn't keep the germs away and I finally had to succomb to my first real bout of sickness all year. For anyone who knows me I don't do sick well at all and end up getting angry with myself for not being productive. To make matters worse our cable decided to stop working on Friday and so I've had to find ways to entertain myself that doesn't involve expending too much energy. I'm grateful to the channels that broadcast episodes of shows online. I found myself watching one particular episode of a show called "My Boys" whose basis is about a female sports writer in Chicago and her male group of friends. The episode included a freelance article for a women's magazine entitled "What He Really Does When We're Not Around" and so for research the male group of friends was observed for a week. From lounging on the couch eating snacks, to falling asleep on the couch in boxer shorts with a plate of wings on their lap, to being in the same work environment without speaking a word to each other for 45 minutes, the columnist concluded that when women are away guys tend to do absolutely nothing. The twist and something that I'd like to try appreciate is that males are on to something on the days when they don't do anything. It's them taking time to regroup, restructure, and just plain unwind. So simple an observation but tough to remember after asking "said male" to do x,y, & z and getting no results. So that's what I've done this weekend-tried to regroup, restructure, and unwind. So what if that has met trying to sit on my hands so as not to dust the layer that has been building by the TV. Or turning a blind eye to the pile of laundry that has needed to get done. Nope, I'm taking a guys approach. Of course their cleaning fairy may come in the way of their wife. Wonder who is my fairy????

No comments: