Sunday, June 14, 2009

I'm sitting here on the eve before my last week of school and all I can do is think of things to put together a tentative itinerary for when mom and dad visit. Can you see where my mind has gone? I think it's been on "summer vacation mode" since Memorial Day. I've finished up my last week of therapy with all of my kids and now this week I get to focus on getting my paperwork done, tying up loose ends, and actually getting organized for the first time all year! I am sooo looking forward to having time to get these things done! The end of the school year could not come at a better time as my commute has gotten increasingly worse as the days and weeks go on. I'm looking forward to a break from sitting in stand still traffic, inching my way at less than 10 miles an hour, and taking 1 1/2 hours to get home. Thank goodness for cell phones as it's a great time for me to catch up with people (in a very safe and focused way- don't worry Grama!)
Joe and I have found ourselves in a bit of a haze when the weekends approach. We are very inclined to sleep in and then spend a few hours together before Joe goes to work. Yesterday the sun was out and was inviting to anyone sitting in their stuffy apartments. I talked Joe into walking to one of our favorite places to pass time-the used bookstore. This place is great for 2nd hand books and the selection is huge. After making our purchases and stopping for coffee (because 9 times out of 10 that's just what you do when you're out and about in a city where coffee is more prevalent than food! ), we found an empty bench on Seattle University's campus to park and enjoy the sunshine.
My reading material consisted of the Happy Hour booklet that was just published this week for all the summer deals and Joe was intently focused on his fantasy book. As we sat in this peaceful and serene atmosphere I found myself wanting to talk out loud about all the fun things I was finding. After the 3rd time of reading off an entire menu, Joe looked at me as asked if I could just read silently. I had to remind him that I don't do "silent" well and I'm more inclined to just talk about anything. I guess I should have just stopped at "enjoying each other's company" and not gone overboard with too much chattiness. Isn't it true that you should keep the lines of communication open in marriage- even when it is just to share your excitement of cheap food and drinks?
I spent today wandering downtown among the shops and the market (a past time I've come to really enjoy when I've got nothing else to do). I learned that with the summertime comes an influx of tourists and not just of the English speaking type. Lots of French was heard amongst the throngs of people. The cruise ships dock now on the weekends (huge boats right on the Sound in front of the market) and I'm guessing that they have to be coming from somewhere in Canada. I also was privy to the passing of the wonderful British accent as I watched two guys in their very obvious British trousers and trainers jaywalk in the middle of the street. You just don't do that here and I found myself squirming for them. I still feel faraway from being coined a "native" in this area but at least I got the street crossing rules down pat!

No comments: